Monday 15 October 2007

A Failed Policy?

This article in today's Independent makes interesting reading, I have a great deal of sympathy with this point of view. I write as a user myself. My drug of choice is alcohol, taken as wine, gin or beer, depending on my mood. I buy it from retail outlets licensed by the local authority, and I have felt no need to get involved in criminality in order to fund my habit. What I would have done had I been around in the 1920s in the USA when they attempted to wipe out alcohol with about as much success as we're having here with Class A, B, C I'm not sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that you have any sympathy for Mr Brunstroms view on drugs. It is clearly another attention seeking ploy from him. If you believe the scenario that drugs legislation doesn't work therefore we should legalise it. Why not apply this logic to burglary or other crimes we are not preventing? The correct answer is drugs are harmful and not enough effort is being applied by the government to stop it e.g. open borders etc. The excuse that "drug users steal to fund the habit" is erroneous - most have long criminal histories before they became users. People who take recreational drugs don't want to face up to reality and their responsibilities to society.